Sunday, April 15, 2007

Palm Valley The Lakes Course, in Goodyear, AZ

So I've been looking forward to playing the Palm Valley Golf Course that my friend lives near (his patio looks out on the water hazard on 7 of the Palm Valley Course) for a long long time. He's been hyping this course to me since he moved there over 6 months ago. He got us a tee time on the Lakes Course (the shorter of the two courses at Palm Valley) and we finally headed out there today.

After shooting so miserably yesterday (see the previous post), I was determined to have a good round today.

What's that saying? "The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry."

On this 4,745 yard par 62 course, I shot a 127. That's a big step backward. I hit 58 on the front nine and 69 on the back. Oy vey! That could be the worst round I've shot in a long time. I just fell apart in the short game. I have been trying a little pointer that I picked up, but never practiced, and it just didn't work. That's something that I can't suggest strongly enough - PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE. Especially if you're trying something new. By the last couple holes, my confidence in my short game was totally gone. The shots that I normally hit well - like the green side bunker - I was tanking. It was reasonably horrible.

It was a very good time though and a beautiful course - http://www.palmvalleygolf.com/
There was one hole that wasn't entirely up to snuff. It looked like some kids had gotten on the green with bicycles or something. There were straight grooves running across the green like tire treads. Otherwise the course was immaculate. A really good play, even for a shorter course like this. Good desert terrain. It was difficult without being impossible. I definitely recommend that course if you ever head out that way.

In the meantime, I'll get to practicing. Hope your last round was better than mine!

Joe